The Employee in the Spotlight is...

ALICIA HILL, Advertising & Marketing Coordinator
*If you could come up with your own job title, what would it be?
Vice President of Gift Cards, Credit Cards, Trailer Signage, Book Costume, CO2 T-Shirt Shooters, Newspaper Inserts, Contract School Apparel, Medical Supplies, Office Supplies, DVDs, Conference Room Cleaning, Business Cards, Gift Baskets, Yard Sales, Helium Tanks, Balloon Transporting, Cell Phone Fixing, eCampus Jingles, TV Commercials, Radio Commercials, Model Recruiting, Make-Shift Photo Shoots, Book Photography, Meeting With Random People from Companies That We Are Never Going to Advertise With, and Other Ridiculous Random Crap
*What’s the most random thing you’ve been asked to do in your job here?
I’ve been asked to stand outside one of our buyback trailers and pretend to be a customer. I was also asked to literally iron the wrinkles out of our banners. I didn’t do either one of those.
*How many people have recognized you from the homepage?
Well I actually have to fight off the paparazzi everyday. Not really. I would say maybe 3 people have recognized me. One guy in the warehouse and some people down at Tolly Ho.
*What was your first job ever?
I worked in the Pro Shop at the Greenville Country Club. I handled all golf related activities, including picking up range balls with a Shag Bag. However, I also watered plants, made Sno Cones and pizzas, and got hit on by drunk old men. The best part was when I had to wash all of the range balls in the washing machines. You can’t even imagine what it sounded like.
*How many reports do you think you’ve printed out since you’ve worked here?
5,294,071, but that is ok because I am supporting the jobs of tree planters and paper makers. If UK’s Greenthumb Club knew about the amount of paper I wasted I would probably get another long and mean letter.
*What’s your favorite thing about working here?
The lovely people that I work with, especially the amazingly wonderful, overly talented, always hilarious Internet Marketing Department.
*What is your favorite marketing strategy that has been brought up?
The ever popular book costume, which I am currently working on having custom made. Prepare yourselves for an official mascot, which is going to be a book wearing one of our t-shirts. They don't realize that once you put a t-shirt on a book you are no longer going to be able to tell that it is a book.
*How did you get your friends to model in the photo shoot with you?
It was a very strategic process. I had to figure out which friends I knew well enough to ask to be in this make-shift photo shoot, and who I knew wouldn’t completely hate me and never speak to me again if the whole thing turned out to be a disaster and they never got the stuff we promised. I told them they would get a discount on their books and get to keep the sweatshirts. Yeah, they got none of that.
*What’s your favorite TV show?
Friends, as well as Grey’s Anatomy, Project Runway, Dawson’s Creek, and Full House
*If you only had access to five websites ever, which five would they be?
-Facebook- I have to stalk people.
-Old National Bank- I have never ever balanced my checkbook.
-E! Online- I have to know what is going on with people more fabulous than me. That is
where I found the breaking news about Anna Nicole, one of my heroes.
-Mapquest- I would never get anywhere without it.
-The eCampus Blog- Even though I can’t read it at work, because I am scared that
someone who isn’t supposed to see it is going to.
*Why didn’t you include eCampus.com in your five?
Seriously? The only reason I would ever want to look at the eCampus site, if I wasn’t being forced to, would be to look at Claudia’s wonderful hompage designs and those cute little blocks that Erin creates.
*What’s the most fulfilling thing about your job?
Knowing that I work for a company that aids in furthering the education of students nation-wide. Or helps them to fail their first test because the book they ordered never came in or took six weeks to arrive.
*What are some tips in dealing with difficult people?
Just smile and nod a lot. Find great people that will listen to you complain about the difficult people.
*What would be the first piece of advice you would give someone that was taking over your job?
Expect the absolute worst, and then you will be pleasantly surprised when it really isn’t that bad. Also, expect to be asked to do things that are pretty much impossible and overly ridiculous.
*Since we work for a book company, I have to ask- what’s your favorite book (or magazine)?
Judy Blume’s Summer Sisters- not exactly a kid’s book
*Other fun facts about Alicia:
-My boyfriend is ridiculously older than me, 35. (pictured above)
-I have a form of narcolepsy.
-I can play the clarinet very well.
-I can conduct a band.
-I can twirl a flag and do some pretty cool stuff with a rifle.

No comments:
Post a Comment