
The other day I was asked to make a Spanish version of the "how to order books" flyer for the contract schools. I have to admit, I had a hard time creating this flyer because it goes against something that I feel very strongly about- and that is- people need to freaking learn how to speak English if they are going to live in this country!!
Some people may not be aware of this- but my parents' first language wasn't English. Neither was mine. They moved to the US after living in Germany (and speaking German) for the first 25 years of their lives.
My mom has told me that it was challenging picking up English-especially being at home all day with a baby (me!)- but she did it. While my dad was at work she would watch soaps just to learn English and she would read her Good Housekeeping magazine with a German/English dictionary out to improve her vocabulary.
Can you just imagine how totally absurd it would have been if they had said, "Ok, we're moving to America, but we're going to keep speaking German and expect everyone else around us to accommodate us and learn some German too... and give us a German option on the credit card machine at Walmart, and German directions in a box of Loreal hair dye, and put German labels on Lean Cusines so the poor American's will have to flip the box around 3 times before they find the ingredients listed in English."
(by the way, all of the above examples are real- and they all make me mad.)
If we continue to make things easier for people who don't speak the native language of this country, well then... we might as well all enroll in some Espanol classes right now, 'cause that will be the official language of this country pretty soon.
Here's what the flyer should have said:
7 comments:
So, I have to admit, I pretty much feel the same way. It's kind of infuriating feeling like we have to cater to people who won't even take the time to learn our language. Although, I'm pretty sure in most cases, they know a heck of a lot more English than they pretend to know. Which is a WHOLE other bag of crap!
This was fantastic. Too funny!
I whole-heartedly agree! English was my second language. :)
Couldn't have said it better Claudia! As soon as I saw it I said pretty much the same thing...
I totally agree. That is one of my pet peeves. Dude, the official language of the United States is English. Ben and I have gotten into heated arguments over this, even though I don't really know why.
Love this Claudia. TOTALLY agree. I went to buy a pretend phone for Addison last night and the thing kept talking to me in spanish. I was pissed....They are now teaching kids spanish in elementary schools too. Absolutely ridiculous.
Greatest Post Ever. Nice work Claudia. Oh, what does does the German phrase say at the end? It's my right as an american to have you tell me what it means rather than me taking the 2 minutes to look it up.
Kerry
Post a Comment